- Currently Sports Therapy and Sports Rehabilitation are unregulated professions.
- There is no lead body or council for Sports Therapy or Sports Rehabilitation.
- It is unlikely that this will change soon as membership associations are not currently engaged in any form of communication with each other.
For the latest on regulation visit here;
The Professional Standards Authority PSA currently assesses organisations that REGISTER health and social care practitioners
Accredited Registers are held by;
- The British Association of Sports Rehabilitators and Trainers http://basrat.org/
BASRat represents and registers practitioners working in the field of sports and exercise based injury prevention, treatment and rehabilitation. (You can be a member of this Association if you meet the entry criteria and you receive member benefits, registration is included as part of the membership fee)
- The Complementary Natural Healthcare Council http://www.cnhc.org.uk/
The Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) registers complementary healthcare practitioners. (This is not a membership association and therefore after paying a fee, you become a registrant, you do not receive any member benefits, you may have to pay an additional fee to a Verifying Organisation (VO) to have your qualification verified as meeting the CNHC standards, we do not support STA members having to pay a fee through another professional association which acts as a VO)
- Federation of Holistic Therapists http://findatherapist.fht.org.uk/search-register
The Federation of Holistic Therapists is a professional association that operates a complementary healthcare therapist register for qualified, professional and insured therapists (You can be a member of this Association if you meet the entry criteria and you receive member benefits)
We therefore, now advise all STA members to carry out their own extensive research into the potential benefits of joining each individual register or multiple registers. We do not currently support any of the claims made by the registers that increased employability or increased client numbers are being achieved.
We will continue to explore all avenues in membership representation, registration and regulation, we will inform you all when there is a viable alternative.